[TR] Strombery Idle Problem Repost

Harrymague at aol.com Harrymague at aol.com
Wed Aug 3 15:13:25 MDT 2016

Subj: Stromberg Idle  Problem

Background:  My 74 TR6 is set up with Goode's triple carbs.   This winter I
made some modifications to the engine to include shaving the  head, new
harmonic damper in the front, roller rockers, electronic  ignition and a header
exhaust.  I did not do anything to the  carbs.  I did the triple carbs a
couple of years ago and the car ran  great.

Current problem:  So with everything put back together, the car  started,
but I could not get it to idle or run constantly.  I started  checking
everything.  The ignition checked out with the timing easily  set.  With the
engine modification, I checked the compression and that  was perfect.  So I
started checking the carbs.  It finally came down  to the front carb vent for the
float chamber.  If I disconnected the hose  front the front carb, the idle
was easily set and the car idled great.   Disconnecting the other two hose
had no effect.  When I disconnected the  hose and held my finger over the
hose, the idle goes to carp.  I  disconnected the hose at the canister and plug
the canister and the idle was  fine.  So I plugged the entire vent hose for
all three carbs and the idle  is fine.

Now the question.  Sorry for the long email.  Why would one cab  hose cause
all my idle problems and it is not the carb but the hose to the  canister?
I check the hose to make sure it wasn't block for the other  carbs and it
wasn't.  I know the prior to 74, the carbs didn't even have  the float
chamber vent.

Anybody have any theories???

Thanks in advance.

Harry Mague