[TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 9, Issue 87

Anthony Rhodes spamiam at comcast.net
Mon Apr 11 04:30:52 MDT 2016

The story that water can flow "too fast" through the radiator never made sense to me.   I suspect that the story refers to changes in the flow characteristics, not specifically to the rate.  It may be that at a certain point flow becomes turbulent instead of laminar, and maybe that is a problem either in the engine or the radiator.

But all else being equal, you get more flow of heat energy with a bigger temperature difference between the hot and cold sides.  So in general, higher flow rates will result in higher heat transfer to the air.

The heat transferred per liter of pumped fluid is less at higher flow because the exiting fluid is warmer than the low flow situation.  But you have more liters per minute, so you transfer more heat per minute.

In most situations, the actual flow through the radiator will be identical for both a standard and high flow thermostat.   It is able to regulate the engine temperature just fine.  But if the stock thermostat is  wide open because engine temperature is above the regulated temperature, then the high flow thermostat will allow a bit better flow and maybe better cooling.

However, as has been said, originally the cooling system was good enough to keep the engine cool in all situations.  (Possibly not completely true!!).   So, if the cooling ability is no longer good enough, then the problem is not the properly functioning standard thermostat.  It is that the block can't heat the coolant properly, or that the radiator can't cool the fluid properly.

-Tony

Sent from my IMSAI 8080