[TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 9, Issue 87

Jeff Scarbrough fishplate at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 05:30:20 MDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 6:30 AM, Anthony Rhodes <spamiam at comcast.net> wrote:
> However, as has been said, originally the cooling system was good enough to keep the engine cool in all situations.  (Possibly not completely true!!).   So, if the cooling ability is no longer good enough, then the problem is not the properly functioning standard thermostat.  It is that the block can't heat the coolant properly, or that the radiator can't cool the fluid properly.

For what it's worth, I have a 1975 TR6 with stock cooling and a
slightly higher compression engine.  I can drive around town in
August, in traffic, in Georgia, and the gauge doesn't rise much higher
than halfway.

(Excuse me a moment while I knock wood...ok, I'm back)

If I had cooling problems on an otherwise stock engine, I'd begin by
connecting a garden hose up to the various cooling openings and seeing
what washes out.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.