[TR] TR3 gearbox oil leak

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Nov 30 17:43:32 MST 2015

> So my question is, is there any type of gearbox leak which is
> amenable to a fix other than pulling the gearbox out ?

It is possible, though not easy, to change the rear seal with the unit in the car.  But if it were the rear seal leaking that badly,
it would be pretty obvious I think.  Of course, I also think it would be easy to tell if the gearbox was that low on oil, too.  If
you do this, be sure to inspect the sealing surface on the flange, and use a Speedi-sleeve if necessary.

I did have one A-type OD that started leaking pretty badly at the adapter plate, I think because a piece of gasket blew out
(possibly because the plate was distorted and didn't clamp the gasket evenly).  I managed to mostly stop that leak by draining the
gearbox, cleaning the area thoroughly, and then heavily 'buttering' the entire gasket area with Permatex "Ultra Gray" RTV.  Used the
whole tube as I recall.  Let it dry thoroughly before refilling with oil.  It was still working some 6 or 8 months later when I
replaced the entire gearbox & OD.

Randall