[TR] Spitfire taillights

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue May 26 19:45:14 MDT 2015

>   Checked around, none of
> the marker
> lights, tail lights or gauge lights are working.  The turn signals,
> brake lights and emergency flashers are.
>
> I checked the fuse, but if it was blown not all of the above
> would have
> been working.

I'm not as familiar with Spitfires, but several of the wiring diagrams I checked show a fuse that is only for the marker, tail and
dash lamps.  And it's practically impossible that they would share a fuse with the brake, turn or emergency flashers, since Triumph
always made the feed to the main headlight switch unfused.  On TR3As, the fuse for the dash, tail & marker lamps is separate from
the fuse block, an in-line fuse hidden behind the bottom lip of the dash.

But if you're sure there is no such fuse on your car, then the switch is where I would look next.

When you do find the problem, I'd suggest temporarily powering the tail light circuit through an old headlight bulb rather than the
new switch/fuse; while you find the short that caused it to open up in the first place.  The headlight bulb will light dimly or not
at all if there is no short, but brightly if there is a short; thereby saving the wiring (as well as giving you an indication of the
short).

-- Randall