[TR] Accessory power in +ground TR3

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Mar 12 15:51:56 MDT 2015

I assume you're talking about the case where the car is still positive ground?

I'm sure it could be done.  Sure would be a lot simpler and easier (and less chance for disaster if east should meet west) to just
convert the car to negative ground, though.

There would be no need to completely isolate the secondary negative ground system from the body (most radios have a ground path
through the antenna mount anyway).  You could just connect the negative side of the secondary battery to ground.  There is also
nothing needed at the point you have marked "regulator or control box", unless perhaps you want to put in a master switch or add a
connector for the trickle charger.

You could even setup an isolated DC-to-DC converter to charge the secondary battery from the main battery.  (And if it had enough
capacity, even eliminate the battery entirely).

Yet another option (though not one I would particularly recommend) is to just install outlets wired negative ground, isolated from
the body.  As long as your computer, GPS, etc don't touch bare metal in any other way, that will work fine.  Watch out for the
radio, though, many of them have paths to ground through both the case and the antenna, even if they do have separate ground leads.

-- Randall

  _____