[TR] alternator conversion in a tr3

David Ljung Madison team.net at daveola.com
Tue Jun 2 15:50:01 MDT 2015

Dave Hammond writes:
> I have converted to a  alternator using a GM alternator in my tr3. I find
> that they are a PIA because of their size. I cannot install/remove without
> removing the front carb. Has anyone used another alternator that is smaller?

Most alternator conversions I have heard about involve the Delco 10SI,
though I couldn't figure out how to make the wide body fit until I
found an alternator conversion from Power British (now gone).  Info on my
conversion is here:

http://triumph.daveola.com/Album/Alternator-Conversion/

I don't remember having to remove the carbs to get the alternator out, but
part of that is because I barely ever have to pull the alternator, whereas
that damn generator would fry every year or so.

The difference in cost and maintenance is enormous, I recommend switching
to an alternator as one of the best upgrades for a TR.

Dave