[TR] alternator conversion in a tr3

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jun 2 02:31:42 MDT 2015

> I have converted to a  alternator using a GM alternator in my
> tr3. I find that they are a PIA because of their size. I
> cannot install/remove without removing the front carb. Has
> anyone used another alternator that is smaller?

Even the old Ford Motorcraft I used back in the 80's is smaller than a GM alternator.

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/TR3driver/media/TS39781LO/DSCF0004_1.jpg.html

It would come out just by taking the LH horn loose.

But there are several "mini" alternators available from various applications that fit better.  Here's a photo I got from Chris "Mad
Marx" of his alternator from an 89 Suzuki Swift mounted on his TR4 race car.

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/TR3driver/media/Misc%20parts/Suzuki%20Swift%20alternator%20on%20TR4%20-%20MadMarx.jpg.html

I've got one myself, but haven't installed it yet.  So far, I'm still squeaking by with the apparently original 19 amp generator.

-- Randall