[TR] [Fot] Uprated stub axle kit / shims

Dan Cronin adcronin at mi.rr.com
Thu Jul 30 08:15:09 MDT 2015

Thanks to everyone who contributed to my concerns about the amount of shims required to set up the stub axle upgrade.  As a result of what you all have indicated (0 to over 0.030” shim pack or custom spacers  I no longer feel overly concerned with my 0.030 thickness.  For those wondering what bearings I have they are in fact Timken.  As a point of interest, I am using a TR2-3 RATCO frame that Tony set up to accept the full TR6 front suspension components to include the correct length lower wishbone inner fulcrum brackets.  R & P steering rack is a Revington welded bracket unit.  Front disk brakes are Toyota calipers, rear disk is a kit from Revington utilizing parts from early Rover (Acura).  Tube shocks at rear with a RATCO kit and all four shocks are Spax.  It’s been a fun project that I hope to have on the road within the next year…….

On Jul 29, 2015, at 10:44 AM, Randall <tr3driver at ca.rr.com> wrote:

> Am putting the up-rated stub axle kit on my TR2 with TR6 front suspension
> / disc brakes and find that I need nearly 0.030 in shim thickness to allow
> the disk / wheel to turn without too much effort.

Just a thought, what brand of wheel bearings are you using?  I ran into a
similar problem when doing a Stag differential some years ago, the
replacement bearing, although apparently correct otherwise, was a lot
thinner than the one I took out, requiring some .030" more in shims to get
the correct preload.

I saw the same thing with some cheap no-name "Made in India" bearings I was
going to use in a TR3 diff; they weren't even the same thickness as each
other!  (They went in the scrap bin.)

I'm beginning to think there is a reason that Timken bearings are more
expensive :)

BTW, RockAuto frequently has genuine Timken wheel bearings for a good price.
I bought a set for the TR3 just a couple of months ago, and the price with
shipping came to less than half what the usual suspects charge.

-- Randall

fot at autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html