[TR] [Fot] Uprated stub axle kit / shims

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Jul 29 08:44:55 MDT 2015

> Am putting the up-rated stub axle kit on my TR2 with TR6 front suspension
> / disc brakes and find that I need nearly 0.030 in shim thickness to allow
> the disk / wheel to turn without too much effort.

Just a thought, what brand of wheel bearings are you using?  I ran into a
similar problem when doing a Stag differential some years ago, the
replacement bearing, although apparently correct otherwise, was a lot
thinner than the one I took out, requiring some .030" more in shims to get
the correct preload.

I saw the same thing with some cheap no-name "Made in India" bearings I was
going to use in a TR3 diff; they weren't even the same thickness as each
other!  (They went in the scrap bin.)

I'm beginning to think there is a reason that Timken bearings are more
expensive :)

BTW, RockAuto frequently has genuine Timken wheel bearings for a good price.
I bought a set for the TR3 just a couple of months ago, and the price with
shipping came to less than half what the usual suspects charge.

-- Randall