[TR] No brakes, 64 TR4

Paul Willoughby paulwilloughby007 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 09:31:32 MDT 2015

Haven't driven the TR4 in a few years other than an occasional trip around
the block every 6 months or so.  Last weekend I started it and drove it up
the hill to the stop sign.  Uh oh, no brakes, (maybe 25% stopping power).
Was able to coast down the hill using the e-brake with a little assist from
the pedal.

When I had started it, the brakes felt firm.  I had pumped them a couple
times to make sure they worked.  I might have been a little over zealous
and may have felt a pop or a snap on the last pump.  I don't drive the car
enough to have a feel for it anymore.  But now the pedal isn't as firm.

Fluid reservoir was fine, maybe 3/4" low. I rebuilt the master cylinder
years ago and changed to silicon fluid.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction for a diagnosis?  I was thinking
broken spring in the master cylinder, but Moss doesn't list one, not even
in the rebuild kit, so must not be a common failure.  Could I have pushed
the little rubber plungers in the master cylinder past their stop point?

paulw
56 TR3
64 TR4