[TR] TR4 Chassis Issues

Jeffrey Gayton jtgayton at icloud.com
Thu Feb 19 15:04:54 MST 2015

Thanks, as always, to everyone who replied. I’m relieved to hear that finding a good Triumph frame might not be as difficult as I’d been lead to believe. I’m in Southern Oregon (making Kentucky a bit of a trek, Brad!). What’s the price range on decent frames?

I *think* I’d enjoy the frame swap work. It’s well beyond anything I’ve undertaken, but I really enjoy learning on the job. As for cost, I’m still cautiously optimistic that the frame is the only major issue. Frankly, given the photos I have of the PO’s restoration and the binder full or receipts, I’m surprised the frame was mishandled so badly. The engine runs quite well and the only other issues my local shop found were related to the rear: No more adjustment available in the rear brakes, tired lever arms, etc.

As for cost, everything is relative. I do know that unless I find something else seriously wrong with the car, I want to keep it. I still can’t believe my wife signed off on the purchase in the first place, and I’m not sure she’d be willing to sign off again!