[TR] TR3 rear spring specification

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Feb 17 17:23:57 MST 2015

In the factory TR2-TR3 workshop manual, the rear spring diagram on page H-3 gives the nominal laden camber for the rear springs as
7/8".  But there are two specifications next to that, one for "blue" and one for "red".

Does anyone know what the colors signify?  The SPC does not list any alternate rear springs except the later 330306 passenger side
spring that is supposedly identical to the drivers side except for an added spacer.  The diagram was published long before the
330306 spring was added, so I doubt that is it anyway.

And if there were a performance spring option available (like the front springs), I would expect it to have a different spring rate
but roughly the same ride height.  The workshop manual lists only one spring rate.

I'm trying to work out whether my old springs really were way too soft; or the new springs I got are way too stiff (and ride much
too high).  So I do have a practical application, not just random curiosity.  The fact that a piece fell out of one of the old
springs the other day says that it was probably too soft (cracked), but its mate seems to match very closely with another original
spring that I was given.

-- Randall