[TR] Pre TS60000 TR3 and Radial Spare

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Sep 7 16:29:02 MDT 2014

> I'm about to replace the bias ply tires on my 1956 TR3 with
> radials.  The
> correct size appears to be 165R15.

Nope, not on a 56.  The 165 tires didn't come in until after TS60000 when the spare tire compartment got bigger.

> If you have a pre TS60000 TR3 (or TR2) with a radial spare aboard, I'd
> appreciate knowing what you are running and how tight the fit
> is.

I did have a whole set of 155 tires from Europe (sorry, don't recall the brand offhand), which would fit moderately snugly mounted
on a steel wheel.   But I gave them all away to friends with the same problem.  As Geo said, I now run a "compact spare" from the
junkyard, mounted on a standard TR3 rim, and it fits with lots of room to spare.  I have to pack a blanket and a towel in to keep it
from sliding around.  (Which is OK, because they both come in handy while changing tires or other road-side services.)

Not the best photo, but maybe you can make out how much smaller it is here:
http://goo.gl/xUesSa

The compact spare is supposed to be for temporary use only, and only at 45 mph or below.  But I drove a couple of hours at 70+ mph
with it, and had no troubles.  The car did handle a bit differently, but not enough for concern, IMO.  YMMV and all that.

Given how reliable modern steel radials are, there is something to be said for only carrying a can of Fix-a-Flat and a cell phone.
But I like having a spare tire available, and the steel radial didn't help when I stupidly ran over a broken curb and punched a big
hole in the sidewall.

Randall