[TR] TR6 overheating puzzle

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu May 22 16:17:28 MDT 2014

---- Allen Hess <allenhess at mgcarclub.com> wrote:
> I wouldn't rule out the voltage stabilizer.

> They are easy to check with an analog volt meter (don't
> know how a digital would work).

Pretty much the same, you should see the voltage jump from battery voltage (roughly) to zero.  A digital meter may show you some values in between, but you should still see the extremes of battery voltage and zero.

If accessing the VS is more hassle than you want (I think it's on the back of the speedo for a TR6), you can just pull the wire off the sender for the temperature gauge and check from the wire to ground.  The gauge resistance is much lower than the voltmeter, so you will read the output from the VS.

In a pinch, you can even do this test with an (unpowered) test light.  The light should blink on and off if the VS is working.

Also, some suppliers are selling solid-state voltage stabilizers.  If you have one of those, the voltage will be a constant 10.0 volts rather than jumping from battery voltage to zero and back.

Randall