[TR] Yes - I did blow my gasket (TR4)

Lee&John Howard leejohn7 at gmail.com
Thu May 22 07:00:43 MDT 2014

The head gasket looked OK to me, but my head man pointed to where the
sealing ring  around the cylinder is broken. The pistons turn smoothly so
all seems OK down below. In addition, the exhaust manifold on the same low
compression cylinders was blown, and on inspection the manifold mating
surface on the head was a bit warped, as is manifold face . So, we'll true
up those surfaces.

The gasket I used first time was the copper variety. I'm thinking now to
use a modern thicker type, perhaps one from Remflex?
http://catalog.remflex.com/

As well, the machinest suggests I lower the compression, which I measured
at about 10:1 at rebuild four years ago. Any suggestions for a thicker
gasket?

Many thanks

John