[TR] TR 3 Rear Engine Seal

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Sat Mar 29 07:24:20 MDT 2014

Hello everyone.  I'm in the process of rebuilding a spare engine for TS 58667.  Am looking at the options for the rear seal.

1) Grind the scroll and install the new aluminum casting modified for a rubber oil seal.  This would be Moss # 837-006 at $200, plus cost of grinding the scroll on the crank.  I've run those on the past two rebuilds and am satisfied.  I still have leaks, but probably more from the breather pipe than anything.  I do hate the thought of grinding another good crankshaft that my machine shop just finished going to a mere .10 under with.  Seems wrong somehow.

2) Second option is to buy the modified rear seal kit HP599 from TRF which also includes a new aluminum casting, rubber seal and centering tool at $229, but no cost for grinding the scroll on the crank.

3) The third option is to stay with the original aluminum casting rear seal.  Past advice on the List here is mixed.  Some say reuse the old seal, some say you can't judge wear easily so replace it.  Cost for a new casting is $78 but it does take a centering tool I don't have for another $56.

Before I decide, I could really use the advice again of people who've driven the stock rear seal.  Thoughts?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire