[TR] Update to my TR4A running too rich

Dave Connitt dconnitt at fuse.net
Sat Mar 22 13:27:29 MDT 2014

Hi guys,
Just a quick update that I think I have solved my plug fouling issue.
Just as a little background;
I got the engine running last fall and it seemed to run pretty well but it sat
all winter without running at all.
Fast forward to the first run since winter and it ran absolutely crappy, too
much fuel..
I double checked the floats and they were set at .125" per the rebuilding kit.
I put it all back together and no change. In fact, when I checked the plugs
they were completely fouled.
After consulting with my technical advisor in northern Ohio (that would be you
Jerry) I changed the float levels to 5/16" and replaced the plugs. Instant
difference. I just installed a set of TW needles and it runs even better. I
had installed  SM  needles originally thinking that since I had the for
efficient exhaust system, I would need larger needles so I went up one step.
I am still going to adjust the carburetors using my Gundson color tune just to
see if I can dial it in a bit better. I am still considering switching from my
SU HS-6 carbs to a set of Mikuni 45mm carburetors but I am holding off for
awhile. I need to get some miles on these and see if I can improve their
performance.
Once it warms up it starts right up but it takes a minute to get it running
from cold.. Probably a little bit me and a little bit the car. We are just
getting to know each other at this point..
Dave Connitt