[TR] Update - Rough Running TR4

pbrandsema at triad.rr.com pbrandsema at triad.rr.com
Fri Mar 21 07:43:33 MDT 2014

Here's the latest on my quest to exorcise the demons from my engine.  Checked
the coil, good.  Didn't have a spare dizzy cap, so couldn't test that.  After
a cold beer, and an episode of Top Gear, I had decided it was time to shut
down for the night.  Then, for some reason, I decided to pull the hoses off
the front of the air cleaners.  I'm using the later setup with the Y flame
trap.  I found that there was no vacuum from the center hole on the front air
cleaner.  I then removed the air cleaners and made sure that the piston was
still moving freely and it was.  I then started the engine and miraculously it
had been purged of the evil within.  Running strong on all cylinders.  I
examined the air cleaners, which are the wire mesh type and both look clear.
I even put the front one back on and it had no adverse affect.  The only
logical conclusion I can come up with is that the front carb diaphragm that I
had replaced, had not totally set in until running the engine with the air
cleaner off.  Doesn't make much sense, but it's the best bad idea I have.

I will be purchasing a spare cap and points, just in case though..

Paul
61 TR4