[TR] Battery Tray/TR250

GSFuqua1 at aol.com GSFuqua1 at aol.com
Thu Mar 20 21:42:54 MDT 2014

Glen, let me confirm a couple of things for you.  A frame off  restoration
is not to be undertaken lightly.  It is going to cost more than  the car
will likely be worth even after the restoration and that is with you  doing
most of the labor.  If you farm it out to a shop (Like mine) it will  be much
higher.  Having said that if the body and frame are indeed as good  as you
say then much of the body work and replacement pieces can be  omitted.  A
decent paint job though will still be several thousand  dollars.  That would be
with the dents and dings removed or repaired.   The interior will be another
cost factor and that is impacted greatly by  whether you go with vinyl or
leather.  Generally speaking the mechanical  overhauls (again depending on
what shape the originals are in) is usually pretty  straightforward.  If you
have tools and reasonable skills you should be  able to do most of it
yourself with a qualified machine shop checking for  cracks, doing the head/valve
job and checking the crankshaft & milling as  required.  You should also have
the camshaft tested if you are thinking of  re-using it.  Most people
though will do some upgrades while things are  apart.  Such as fast street cam,
milled head for a little more compression,  possible larger bore with
appropriate pistons, rings and new bearings, bolts,  etc.

In my opinion the market for people willing to pay up for originality is
much smaller than the market for those that will part with substantial cash
for  a quality restored car.

Over the years I have done a fair number of restorations.  Mostly  Triumphs
and Austin-Healeys.  One was a TR 250 and I completely restored  it.
Scored 397 out of 400 at Concours.  Even with my shop, etc., it  wasn't cheap but
man did it look and drive good.  Very reliable.  Sold  it several years
back for lower upper $20's.  Probably could have gotten  more but it was going
to a very close friend.  You didn't mention if it had  overdrive.  That
would be a major plus and a definite negative  without.

So, if this is a car you intend to keep for the long haul and perhaps pass
it own to a son or daughter it would probably be worth doing a rolling
restoration where you tackled a section or two at a time during winters.   If
you are just looking to flip the car for profit then I wouldn't do much more
that a high level tune up and some in depth detailing.  Also never
underestimate the value that a well detailed engine bay can give.

Obviously all the above is just my opinion with a healthy dose of "Been
There, Done That."

Cheers and keep us posted on your decisions.  Gary Fuqua

In a message dated 3/20/2014 9:50:38 P.M. Central Daylight Time,