[TR] Gear Reduction Starter

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Mar 9 13:36:09 MDT 2014

> It's been more than ten years now, but I remember that the
> starter that came with the project car was the eary bullet
> nose type, not the type I needed.  I needed the shaft that
> pulls into the bolt-on ring gear from the back.
>
> But...do I recall correctly that the transmission tunnel has
> to be able to accommodate the newer shaft type model?

If you have an early tunnel, it can be massaged in that area to clear the later bellhousing.  If you have an early bellhousing, it
would have to be cut to clear the later starter drive.

However, the gear drive starter offers an easy solution to this.  Even in the version that fits the later flywheel, it does not
extend behind the flywheel, and so will fit into the early bellhousing without modification.

Yes, that means it engages from the un-beveled side of the gear.  However, unlike the factory starter (which has a Bendix), the
gear-drive starter is a pre-engaged design, meaning it doesn't need the bevel on the ring gear.

Not sure if that is clear or not, so ask again if I've made a muddle.

Randall