[TR] Gear Reduction Starter

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 09:14:11 MDT 2014

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 7:14 AM, <terryrs at comcast.net> wrote:

> ... I needed the shaft that pulls into the bolt-on ring gear from the back.
>
> But...do I recall correctly that the transmission tunnel has to be able to
> accommodate the newer shaft type model?

Yes, unless you are willing to cut a hole in the bell housing (I've seen it
done).  You may also have to 'massage' the tunnel depending on whether or
not it has a bulge there too.

I cannot recommend it but for more than 30 years I have driven using the
early (bullet-nose) starter on an engine with the later bolt-on flywheel.
Happened because a PO installed a post-50K engine but kept the pre-50K
gearbox.  Drove for a couple of decades before I knew it wasn't correct.
Not supposed to work well but for me it has been no problem.

Geo