[TR] Tr4 Leaf springs

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 09:07:49 MDT 2014

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 5:32 AM, Chris Simo <ccsimonsen at gmail.com> wrote:

I've always wanted to tend to my rear springs, but based on previous emails
> on this list, I felt like the rear spring is almost impossible to remove
> without taking the body off. ...
> I keep waiting and reading these emails hoping for a sure-fire method for
> removal with bodywork in place.

I, too, just lubed and drove until at last a spring broke (4 leaves) and I
had no choice.  I used the method described by Randall -- cleaned the hole
in the pin with a tap, used a length of all-thread & a couple of sockets as
spacers and threaded a nut & washer down against them.  To my delight the
pin pulled out like a cork from a wine bottle.

I am confident that pin was original and unmoved in the past (I've had the
car 34 years).  Not 'sure-fire' but, in my case at least, it worked
perfectly.

Geo