[TR] TR3 front turn signals

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Mar 1 13:29:28 MST 2014

> what is the consensus on the color for the front turn signals
> on a late
> tr3a?  amber or white?

Original US-spec was definitely clear (white).  Amber was actually illegal (in the US) I believe, until many years after the last
TR3B.

> Also has anyone
> used halogen for more visibility?

I've heard of problems with halogens, like not being able to see the turn signals when the parking lights are on and excessive heat
buildup.  So I've not tried them.

What I have been using for a long time is 2357 bulbs (which are also available in amber 2357NA and long life 2357LL).  They take
almost exactly the same power as 1157, but the stop/turn filament is optimized for approximately 25% more light output (at the cost
of shorter life).  The park/tail filament is exactly the same as 1157.  They are readily available at FLAPS, usually for the same
price as 1157.

FWIW, Lately I've been leaning towards LEDs.  I've already converted my center brake light to use LEDs (white for license plate
light, red for brake) and I'm working on the rear corner lamps at the moment.  These are not the universal replacements as sold by
Litezupp and others, but a custom made insert to fit between the original base and lens.  My original goal was to keep the license
plate light from looking like a (dim) brake light and vice versa, but I like the light output enough that I'm going ahead with the
others.  Using (3) "3 watt" wide-angle LEDs, the light is literally too bright to look at directly without the lens in place.

Randall