[TR] Alternative to Delco 10Si alternator?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jan 23 13:44:10 MST 2014

> My question is: is there another alternator that I could swap in using the
> same basic wiring without having to modify the case in any way?

Have you thought about just trying to change the bearings?  Not hard to do if you can find the parts.  I haven't looked for a long time, but Pep Boys and such used to sell "rebuild kits" with bearings, brushes and diode trios for about half the price of a rebuilt alternator.

Another alternative might be to buy a rebuilt alternator, and then swap your modified housing onto it.  That's what I did, years ago, when the front bearing went bad in my Ford alternator.

Sorry, can't help with a replacement that takes the same wiring.  The "mini" alternator I bought for next time takes a different plug than the 10Si and probably won't mount quite the same.

Randall