[TR] tr6 woes part 7

Peter Arakelian peterara at msn.com
Tue Feb 18 19:33:43 MST 2014

I e-mail them again.  OK, bring it up and leave it so they can check
everything. Jason is busy, just leave it, they will call.  After a few days I
call Jason.  Suddenly all the pumps I brought up are out of spec - what about
the one the mechanic and I checked the first time I was there and brought up
again?  Just ignored that question.  They have checked all the engine
clearances and even brought in another machinist to check them.  Everything is
OK, mains at .002, rods at .001; engine should be fine.  But they will keep it
a few more days to put some miles on the engine.

Go to pick up the car, Jason is in a meeting, I can talk with the technician.
They mixed and matched from three pumps to get me about 58 psi at speed, but
still 10 psi at idle.  They seem to feel it is still the pump.  They can
remove the inner rotor and pull the outer one about <-1/3 way out and it
wiggles and leaves a score on the base. They also intimated that the loaner
gauge they gave me, which came from out of their race car which turns 150 psi
and reads over 160 psi, may not be reading well for this application.  They
now suggest waiting until I get my original back from rebuilding to be sure of
the readings.  Did they not check it with a stand alone gauge - evidently
not.

Peter Arakelian - '71 TR6, Daily Driver