[TR] Update on TR4A speedometer quitting

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 19:08:45 MDT 2014

Dave -

That plan may work but sometimes excess oil inside the speedo head can
cause problems.  The bearing that the drag cup spins on is very fine and
the clearance between the magnet bar and drag cup is close -- both can
tolerate very little lubricant before they misbehave.

The binding may not even be in the area where the lube you spray will be
going.  In mine the binding that broke the cable twice was the shaft of the
trip odometer and the fix was to disassemble the odo and clean up the shaft
with some fine emery cloth, then lube (grease) in the little cup formed for
that purpose in the shaft.

Geo