[TR] Spare Tire Options

Jeff fishplate at charter.net
Sun Apr 27 08:13:33 MDT 2014

On 4/26/2014 10:35 PM, Randall wrote:
>> Would it be possible to use the stock 15 TR4A wheel and stock
>> >tire for a spare
>> >as long as I meet the 26" diameter?
> IMO it's not even so important that you match the diameter exactly.  The spare I carry in my TR3 is a 15" "compact spare" tire
> mounted on a stock TR3 wheel, and it is at least an inch smaller in diameter than my other tires.
> http://tinyurl.com/mt3hu8l
> But it still seems to work fine; keeping in mind the limited performance and so on.  I've driven over an hour on it, at speeds up to
> 75 mph, with no problems at all.

The reason for keeping the diameter the same is to make steering better
if you mount it on the front, or to keep from wearing out the
differential if you mount it on the rear.  Neither should be a problem
if you use it temporarily, and are aware that the car may be "different"
while it's on there.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

---