[TR] diff leak

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Apr 25 17:15:21 MDT 2014

---- Bob Labuz <yellowtr at adelphia.net> wrote:
> You may need a air wrench.

I would suggest not using an impact wrench here, as the impact may damage the bearings.  Many people don't believe that, but I have seen it happen.  The damage is not apparent immediately, but the bearing fails in just a few months or years, when it should last decades.

Instead, make up a simple tool to hold the flange from turning.  Just a chunk of flat iron from Home Depot, 2 or 3 feet long, drilled so it can be bolted to the flange with two bolts (and leave room to access the nut in the middle).  I don't have a photo of the whole tool handy, but here's a shot of the business end
http://tinyurl.com/kxxaxkg
(You can see the grind marks where I needed just a bit more clearance for the socket.)

You'll need the tool anyway, when you go to torque the nut to the recommended 85-100 ftlb.  Don't forget a new cotter pin.

> I tried using a removal wrench from HF but it broke.

Mine too.  But Lisle makes a similar tool that works well.  Should be available at almost any FLAPS.

> Ended up
> using hammer and a thin screw driver.

Be careful not to gouge the side of the bore that accepts the seal, or it may leak.

> I believe the speedee seal has to be pressed on.

If you are talking about a CR Speedi-Sleeve, they are designed to be driven in place with a common BFH and a special tool, that is normally supplied with the sleeve.  The instructions say to remove the mounting flange afterwards, but it usually doesn't seem to be necessary.

>  Easy to change bearing and oil seal?

Changing the bearing is a much bigger task, as you have to measure the pre-load and change the shims to get it just right.  My suggestion is to leave the bearing alone, and just change the seal.  That's what I did.  If the bearing does show signs of wear, might as well pull the axle and change all 4 of them, as the other bearings lead a much harder life than the input bearing does.

> Use speedee seal?

Personally, I wouldn't unless you can't polish away the mark where the old seal rode.  It's a lot easier to install the first time, than to remove the old one (so you can replace it).  But that's just personal preference (and my hope that I'll live long enough to need to do it again).

Randall