[TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 6, Issue 407

Keith Stewart keithstewart at execulink.com
Tue Nov 26 13:53:44 MST 2013

On Nov 25, 2013, at 8:39 PM, Bud R <levilevi at comcast.net> wrote:

> Is a 69 Spitfire front bumper substantial enough to use for tow bar
> brackets?

I would think the bumper bar itself is too flimsy. I would try the brackets to
the frame. I did this with one of our TR4s by welding two pieces of flat stock
to the sides of the frame. There was a hole drilled in the forward part of
each piece of flat stock. I then had a typical towing bar made with flanges
exactly matching the spacing of the flat stock on the frame. These flanges had
similar sized holes drilled in them. I then had a piece of rod-same diameter
as the holes-bent into an L so that the rod could be inserted between the
flange and the flat stock on one side, through the flat stock and flange on
the other side, and then held in place with a pin through a small hole drilled
across the diameter of the rod. Made many trips that way.

Keith Stewart
keithstewartATexeculinkDOTcom