[TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 6, Issue 407

John Macartney flywheelcoventry1 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 27 08:52:57 MST 2013

No, the front bumper will deform if you use it as a towing point.

That said
- and from memory, your car *should* have a lashing eye bolted to the right
front chassis extension with another similar one at the rear. These were put
there at the factory to chain the car down when being transported on a truck
from factory to dealer or docks. Both are more than strong enough to attach a
tow rope.

Jonmac

On Tuesday, 26 November 2013, 20:56, Keith Stewart
<keithstewart at execulink.com> wrote:

On Nov 25, 2013, at 8:39 PM, Bud R
<levilevi at comcast.net> wrote:

>> Is a 69 Spitfire front bumper
substantial enough to use for tow bar
>> brackets?
>
>I would think the bumper
bar itself is too flimsy. I would try the brackets to
>the frame. I did this
with one of our TR4s by welding two pieces of flat stock
>to the sides of the
frame. There was a hole drilled in the forward part of
>each piece of flat
stock. I then had a typical towing bar made with flanges
>exactly matching the
spacing of the flat stock on the frame. These flanges had
>similar sized holes
drilled in them. I then had a piece of rod-same diameter
>as the holes-bent
into an L so that the rod could be inserted between the
>flange and the flat
stock on one side, through the flat stock and flange on
>the other side, and
then held in place with a pin through a small hole drilled
>across the
diameter of the rod. Made many trips that way.

http://www.team.net/donate.html
http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/macartney.john@yahoo.co.uk