[TR] Towing a Spitfire

Bud R levilevi at comcast.net
Mon Nov 25 14:05:47 MST 2013

List,

Has anyone used a tow bar to tow a Spitfire? I'm thinking of buying a
Spitfire to tow behind the RV and was wondering if it's possible (and
safe) to attach a tow bar to the front outriggers that the bonnet/
bumper attaches to. Or if there's a better method I'd like to hear
about that too. Not interested in a car dolly or trailer (got one)
towing just flat towing. If you know of a specific type of tow bar
that works that would be great. I could fabricate some brackets to fit
the outriggers as an adapter to the tow bar brackets if needed but I
thought I'd query the list to get some ideas.

Somewhat related story:

Hardy Prentice was at 2013VTR in October and was telling me how he
flat towed his TR3 race car (which was on display in the hotel lobby)
behind an E type Jag to all his races. He said with the TR3 loaded
with spares, race tires, and all his tools the car weighed more than
the E type which made for some interesting driving experiences. But
certainly Hardy could handle it if anyone could.

I'm not going to try that but I would like to flat tow a nice light
Spitfire (1600 lbs or so) behind my RV. I even have SWMBO's buy in as
she thinks we need a car to drive around when we go camping in the RV.

Thanks
Bud Rolofson

Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle
77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)