[TR] Big Blow By -- TR3A

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Thu May 16 09:23:36 MDT 2013

Wellsir, this isn't so pretty --

http://tinyurl.com/auxpb6d

The very good news is that the cylinder wall appears undamaged -- a very
slight scuff that I can see but cannot feel.

Seems I have only recovered about 1/4 of the missing ring -- makes me
wonder where the rest went.  I have not done a thorough exam of the oil
though I do use a strong magnetic drain plug that had no pieces on it.  It
could have also launched itself somewhere as I was under the car when I
popped the piston out.  Of course this problem could pre-date the prior oil
change (can't recall when I started using the magnetic plug).

The engine ran so well (even with this problem) that I am inclined to
address the immediate issue in the most direct way -- I assume that would
be a used 83mm piston -- rather than pursuing new parts that come is sets
of 4.

BTW -- when I say 'ran so well' I mean revved easily and cruised happily at
70-75 mph.  I no doubt had some power loss with the compression drop but
nothing I couldn't overcome with my right foot.

As always -- advice & education are what I'm looking for.

Geo