[TR] Big Blow By -- TR3A

wbeech at flash.net wbeech at flash.net
Wed May 15 22:27:51 MDT 2013

I should think you will see traces of failue if it is indeed the head
gasket.  Have you given the head and the #4 valves a good check and test?
Stand the head on edge with the ports facing up and pour some gas into them
and look for a leak.  Maganaflux the head, could be a crack that you can't
see when it is cold.

If you broke a ring, I should look for signs of scoring in the bore.  You
didn't mention if this is something that came on quickly or over time.  A
burned piston will usually leave debris on the plug electrode.  You might
even pour an inch of gas into the cylinder and see how fast it seeps
through, don't forget to change the oil.

This is a perfect example as to why everyone should have a spare TR in the
garage, enjoy your TR4 this weekend.

All the best,
Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
'62 TR3B TCF/2549L " Aunt B" (in rehab)
www.triumphowners.com/1566
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit
there"  Will Rodgers