[TR] Big Blow By -- TR3A

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu May 16 12:22:10 MDT 2013

---- Geo Hahn <ahwahneetr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Seems I have only recovered about 1/4 of the missing ring -- makes me
> wonder where the rest went.

Those pieces on top of the magnet look very thin.  I'm not sure what would do that, but evidently something tore the ring up pretty good.  Perhaps the other pieces got through the gap into the combustion chamber and out the exhaust valve?

> The engine ran so well (even with this problem) that I am inclined to
> address the immediate issue in the most direct way -- I assume that would
> be a used 83mm piston -- rather than pursuing new parts that come is sets
> of 4.

Seems reasonable to me.  I drove a lot of years with a pretty badly damaged cylinder wall, and as you say it ran well enough.  Oil consumption was surprisingly minimal, too.  I think my current TR3 engine blows more oil than that old 3A engine did.

If I find time this weekend, I'll see if there are any usable 83mm pistons that I haven't thrown out yet.  Don't think I saved any rings, but a set of rings is only $40-50.

Randall