[TR] Fwd: problem gas?

Gary Klein tr6.guy at verizon.net
Wed Jun 12 07:39:47 MDT 2013

Pretty certain.  The carbs idle jets in the mower/snowblower/generator
become clogged and the engines will not idle correctly, if at all.
Starting is a PIA.  The mower would not idle and Id have to increase the
throttle slightly to get it to idle but even then, it would hunt.  Had to
take off the carbs in each case and clean them and that's when I discovered
the problem.

My TR6 sits the most and it will start but it runs like crap and like the
mower, needs some choke to idle.  I started using SeaFoam in it last year
and it helped but not completely.  After I complete a few honeydew
projects, I plan on removing and cleaning the carbs as I expect their idle
circuits as clogged as well.

The TR8 gets the most use and for the most part its OK.   I have
experienced a strange loss of power situation.  The engine will not develop
enough power to maintain even 55 mph.  I think, but have not verified,
that perhaps one carb float valve may be sticking.  This occurred last year
at the beginning of the driving season and once again before heading off to
the Gathering in April.  What I did was to run a high concentration of
Techron in the tank and it stopped the problem.  Is it the gas in this
case?  Maybe or maybe not but Im thinking about removing the carbs and
inspect them on the 8 after I get the 6 sorted out.

So from my experience, I am fairly certain in at least the power equipment,
it's the gas and I expect it's also a problem with the cars.

Gary