[TR] Ethanol

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Wed Jun 5 13:13:19 MDT 2013

Greetings;

There is a lot of gossip around this topic but I also think there is a lot
of guilt by association, as well.  There are a couple of symptoms that come
with plausible explanations.  One is that the old rubber bits do not
tolerate ethanol and you will find yourself replacing fuel line and rebuilding your
fuel pump and carburettors before too long.

Another symptom is that ethanol can (will) dissolve the accumulated varnish
in the tank which may cause filter clogging.  This is particularly an issue
on fuel injected engines (such as TR8, SD1).  Once the varnish has been
etched away the problem goes away.

Here in the Midwest we have been using 10% ethanol for about 20 years and
both the TR3 and the TR6 suffered fuel pump issues.  The diaghram turned rock
hard and the pump would not pump.  Other than that it was a clean
switch-over.

It ain't the end of the world.

Cheers

Dave