[TR] Best Anti-Rust Coolant

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Sep 22 13:13:54 MDT 2012

> Q. What is Evans Waterless Coolant made of?
>
> A. Evans Waterless Coolants are patented synthetic non-toxic
> liquids blended with a non-aqueous proprietary inhibitor package.

ISTR that, if you poke around on their site a bit, there are instructions on
how to upgrade your cooling system to work with their coolant.  Higher
viscosity means less flow (all other things being equal), and lower heat
capacity means less heat transfer for a given flow.  The higher boiling
point may compensate for that in most cases, but who wants to run around
with the temperature gauge on the peg?

My only experiment with waterless coolant was many years ago, with a TR that
had persistent overheating problems.  Running pure ethylene glycol (Evans is
supposedly a ethylene/propylene mix), the engine did not boil over (and the
temp gauge was already ruined).  But the experiment ended in disaster when
the true reason for the persistent overheating became apparent.  The out of
control EGT caused an exhaust valve stem to burn through, and the valve head
wound up in the crankcase along with most of the liner.

I also believe that running too high a proportion of EG was a contributing
factor to my Stag overheating and blowing a head gasket on the way home from
VTR 2005.

-- Randall