[TR] Best Anti-Rust Coolant

Don Hiscock don.hiscock at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 12:14:00 MDT 2012

My mechanics for my 2001 Tacoma and 2008 RX350 swear by the Toyota red
coolant for Toyotas -- they think it lasts longer, protects parts better,
and don't use the standard brands they'll use anywhere else in a Toyota.  A
voice of experience -- the guys at Len's Automotive here in STL are the
best I've ever had work on a car.

The September 2012 issue of TR Action has a full page ad for Evans
waterless engine coolants.
in the UK link from the ad: http://wwwe.evanscoolants.co.uk/products.html
and the US--based home office here:
http://www.evanscooling.com/about-us/company-background/

The FAQ on the site is quite informative, eh?

Q. What is Evans Waterless Coolant made of?

A. Evans Waterless Coolants are patented synthetic non-toxic liquids
blended with a non-aqueous proprietary inhibitor package.

Jay Leno talks about it here:
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/extras/car-care/waterless-engine-coolant/index.
shtml

The 0 psi boiling point is 3750 F (1900 C).  They're promoted as "lifetime"
cooling system fluids.

I guess I'm kind of out of touch these days -- I don't know this company's
products.  Advanced racing cars (like F1) don't use water in their cooling
systems as far as I know.  And a chemist, this makes perfect sense.  Water
is an incredibly aggressive solvent -- because we're water-based we don't
really think about it -- even though it does have good heat-carrying
capacity.  Not at all surprising that non-aqueous fluid heat transfer
agents would be available.

Anyone have any experience?

Don
1962 TR3B TSF202L