[TR] Best Anti-Rust Coolant

Don Hiscock don.hiscock at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 13:54:50 MDT 2012

"The 0 psi boiling point is 3750 F (1900 C)."... Sorry for the confusion in
the [ALT + 0176] degrees symbol not mapping over to the simple text of
team.net.  It should read 375-degrees F and 190-degrees C, of course.

The heat capacity of water is about 4.2 J/cubic cm-K-degree.  Propylene
glycol is about 2.5, ethylene glycol about 2.4.  Densities are less than 5%
different, so on a volumetric basis water can carry over 60% greater heat.
 This is why we normally don't run 100% antifreeze in our systems, and
probably one of the reasons our old TRs were originally instructed to run
with "clean rain water" unless it was frosty.  More antifreeze isn't better.

So what's really different from the waterless coolants and running 100%
regular antifreeze?  Propylene vs ethylene glycol?  That doesn't seem like
much...

Don