[TR] Early TR4 Steering Rack Question

Alex & Janet Thomson aljlthomson at charter.net
Tue Oct 23 15:16:44 MDT 2012

Chip - Worm and sector steering boxes often have some play built into the
system when the gears are at sharp steering angles. This way, since most of
the wear occurs at straight angles, the lash adjustment won't cause binding
when you steer into corners but can reduce backlash where you don't want it
which is in the straight ahead position. If you over-adjust the lash screw,
you will find the steering is much better when driving straight ahead but
corners will terrify you when the steering wheel won't self-center. That
means the sector or worm shaft is worn. Hopefully that makes sense. So much
for that type of steering box.

Looking at the Big Brown Book for TR-6 repair, I see a shim pack that can
adjust for end play of the pinion and there is also a steering rack damper
that helps to snub side-to-side play of the rack. In this case, side-to side
movement is perpendicular to the rack, not parallel. That is also adjusted
with shim packs. Not sure how similar a TR-4 is. I'm sure more knowledgeable
folks will reply.

Alex Thomson