[TR] Early TR4 Steering Rack Question

Allen Hess allenhess at mgcarclub.com
Tue Oct 23 17:38:45 MDT 2012

Moss has most of the parts. I think I got mine from TRF years ago. All
the info and specs are in the Bentley Manual. Aside from the pinion
there is a bushing for the pinion shaft and shims to adjust pinion
mesh to the rack. There is also a ball joint on each end of the rack
(inside the boot) which uses shims to adjust the play. One other thing
about maintenance; there is a threaded plug in the cap which shims the
pinion. That plug is supposed to be removed and a grease fitting
installed to grease the rack, then take the fitting out and reinstall
the plug.

Allen