[TR] Early TR4 Steering Rack Question

Chip19474 at aol.com Chip19474 at aol.com
Tue Oct 23 14:36:39 MDT 2012

The play is noticeable when the wheels are off the ground and I turn the
steering wheel side-to-side or when the wheels are off the ground and I grab
a  wheel and move it left or right.  The play (subtle, muffled click) is
coming from the rack & pinion area.

If these are rebuildable, where does one buy a rebuild kit?

Another thing I wondered about....years ago I owned a 1966 Chevy  Corvair.
As the steering box got "sloppy", I was able to tighten the lash  at the
box with an adjustment screw/bolt......of course that wasn't rack &  pinion
but does the TR rack have an adjustment capability to tighten lash?

chip

In a message dated 10/23/2012 2:55:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,