[TR] Stupid, stupid

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Oct 19 13:10:11 MDT 2012

---- Andrew Uprichard <auprichard at uprichard.net> wrote:
> Thanks as always to Randall.  Solves my problem for the one hole not obscured
> by the windscreen glass.  The other hole, unfortunately, is.  Before I go with
> the JB weld option, is there any way of drilling through glass without
> cracking it?

Yes, with care and patience.  Get one of those cheap miniature diamond burr sets from HF and grind away the glass.  Don't try to hurry it, you don't want the glass to get too hot (which can break it).  You can also spray a bit of water to help keep it cool.  If your Dremel has a speed adjustment, slow it down somewhat (again to reduce heat buildup).

But note that the "through hole" studs have a necked-down section, to help them clear the edge of the glass.  If the edge is only partially obscuring the hole, you might not have to grind.

Randall