[TR] what is the most stressful thing to do on a Triumph?

Jonas Payne jagmog at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 27 14:32:00 MST 2012

Last December while on a shakedown run, the harmonic balancer on my new AH
3000 engine broke at the woodruff key slot.  It then chewed up the
lockwasher and then dognut came undone.

The dognut exited through the brand new radiator and then to the bottom of
the freshly painted aluminum cowl/shroud.  It also chewed up the end of the
crankshaft.

All told the damages were about $1,700 on the freshly restored car with 25
miles on it.

I am restoring a customers AH3000 now, and received the engine back from the
machine shop last week.  Out of curiosity, I pulled the damper, sandblasted
it and sprayed it with some pb blaster to look for any cracks.   It had a
crack at the woodruff key slot..................  I have recommended to him
that we replace it rather than suffer a similar fate.

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting
702-882-6711