[TR] what is the most stressful thing to do on a Triumph?

ashleys ashleys at farmside.co.nz
Tue Nov 27 13:59:44 MST 2012

Hi!,
Fitting a rebuilt engine to a TR6.When running in at 2000 revs a bad harsh
sound coming from engine,oil pressure normal,not good so out came engine had
a good look at shaft,pistons etc no fault found.Went ahead and rebuilt
another TR6 engine only used rebuilt cyclinder head.While the block was away
getting rebored/shaft grind i spent more time to see what was causing this
strange sound.
Guest what,a simple fault was found.When i pulled this engine some years ago
i found that the short oil pipe fitted to the oil pump was loose at the lock
nut.When refitting the shaft and oil pump i did not check to see if there
was clearance between gauze and bottom of sump,so on inspection the gauze
had a flat spot and shiney,like wise the sump bottom had awee wear mark.
At 2000 revs the oil pump gauze was beating the sump like a drum- get the
drift.
I went ahead with the fitting of the replacement engine,now run in and no
such noise,a pleasure
to drive.  I now have a rebuilt short block TR motor for sale.

When rebuilding TR 6 over 8 years i had to by in [19] new inner panels,rear
and front panels ,rear deck,b posts,sills,not one panel was correct size,one
inner left guard was 32mm short in the arch area,my supplier told me that
the other 5 inner they had in stock were the same,the supplier didnt what to
know.I was given 40 UK pounds credit for me to correct,as for the other
problems,tough luck you get what you get.