[TR] Recalcitrant TR-3B Engine

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Mar 17 13:12:15 MDT 2012

> When warmed up, a touch
> of the starter button and it's off and running. When cold,
> starting fluid is
> still required.

The most important thing, IMO, is to pull the knob out and lock it, then
check that the jets are both pulled down by at least 1/4" or so, and by the
same amount.  But using the rather odd linkage arrangement shown in the
photo will help that to happen.

Note that old fuel can sometimes cause a similar problem.  The more volatile
elements evaporate, and what is left behind doesn't vaporize or ignite
easily.

Weak ignition and/or a weak battery can also cause problems where the car
just won't start cold.  I had a bad battery that was apparently not
supplying enough voltage for the Pertronix to work while cranking, even
though the gear-drive starter was still spinning the engine.

> Unfortunately, my copy of the Standard Triumph Service
> Instruction Manual is
> not clear on the specifics of this setup,

Here is a blowup from Practical Hints 6th ed that might be helpful.
http://goo.gl/y2azx (click on the image to zoom in)

-- Randall