[TR] Headlight replacement

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Sat Mar 3 07:10:41 MST 2012

In a message dated 3/2/2012 4:31:01 PM Central Standard Time,
flywheelcoventry1 at yahoo.co.uk writes:
> UK have Magneti Marelli headlamps in their TR's that were a straight swap
> from
> Alfas and Fiats of the same era and they claim excellent light properties.
> Worth trying if you don't want Bosch, Cibie or Lucas smellalikes?

When I fitted my ' 79 Mustang with just such a system I, too was quite
impressed in the improvement in illumination.  So much so I fitted bulbed
headlights to the TR6.  Unfortunately the units I fitted on the TR6 were cheap
pacific rim units from JC Whitless.  After a period of disappointment I changed
them out for sealed beam halogens from my local hardware store.  $10 a
piece.  Much better even though they were half the wattage.

That's when it occurred to me that a headlamp is more than just a source of
light.  It is a light projection system with a critically dimensioned
reflector.  The cheap units I bought were not well designed or not manufactured
accurately and even with 100 W bulbs they didn't illuminate the road very
well.

My advice is to stick to known brands be it Cibie, Marchal,Bosch, Lucas,
Marelli.  There is junk out there, beware.

Dave