[TR] Headlight replacement

John Macartney flywheelcoventry1 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 2 15:30:42 MST 2012

On both my old Triumphs with a four headlamp system, I used Lucas bulbed
headlamp units instead of the normal production fitted sealed beams. The two
outers had 60/45 watt halogens and the two inners had single filament 60w
halogens. For safety's sake and to protect the headlamp dipswitch (now
unobtanium) I had a relay for each set. Fantastic light output and light
pattern was just the same as a tungsten or sealed beam. Several friends in the
UK have Magneti Marelli headlamps in their TR's that were a straight swap from
Alfas and Fiats of the same era and they claim excellent light properties.
Worth trying if you don't want Bosch, Cibie or Lucas smellalikes?

Jonmac
http://standard-triumph-books.co.uk