[TR] Headlight replacement

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Mar 1 10:25:07 MST 2012

The Bosch H4 conversions seem to still be readily available.  I got mine
here:
http://goo.gl/AtU9j

They aren't quite as crisp at the edges as the Cibies; but still loads
better than even halogen sealed beams, IMO, and the price is much lower.

There are lots of other "economy" brands around as well.  I tried some from
eBay, which gave a really lousy light pattern and didn't fit the buckets
properly.  One of the bulbs failed within just a few days too (although the
seller did provide a free replacement bulb, with only minor grumbling).

If they are still being made, you should be able to get Cibie though
http://goo.gl/BRisX

Then of course you get to choose bulbs.  To me, the high color temperature
(blue/white) bulbs look kind of silly on a classic car.  They do work a bit
better for me, but only when it is totally dark (which is never the case
around Los Angeles).  And unless you have a high output alternator and
upgraded headlight wiring with relays; I would recommend staying away from
the "high power" bulbs.  I'm currently running the cheap, standard 55/60
watt bulbs from BusDepot (first link above) and I'm quite happy with them.
They draw about the same current as the sealed beam bulbs that were standard
in the US (apparently a bit more than the original home market bulbs
though).

Here is a photo that tries to show the visual difference between the halogen
H4 and standard tungsten bulbs.  This was taken with my Stag, so they are
5-1/4" bulbs instead of 7"; and the H4 is a Cibie (from the second link
above).
http://goo.gl/TdlGj
It doesn't really show well how much brighter the light is, but you can see
how the H4 bulb puts more of it down on the street and less into the eyes of
oncoming traffic (both lamps are properly aimed and the brown board is
nearly level to the driveway.

One last comment, I believe it should be possible to buy and graft on the
connectors for your original P700 lamps.  Another option might be a
conversion bulb, to fit the existing lamps and take the new plug.  I forget
offhand who sells them, but I know I've seen them for sale.

-- Randall